Renewable Energy Technology

Net Metering

Net metering is a billing mechanism that pays solar energy system owners for the electricity they add to the grid.  In its simplest form, a net metering customer will generate their own solar electricity during the day, use what it needs to meet the requirements of the home (or other type of building), injects the rest into the electricity grid, and consumes from the grid when the solar is unavailable.  The customer is then only billed for their net electricity use.  If they generate more than they use in a month, they receive a credit to apply against next month’s bill. If the solar system generates less than the customer uses, they will see a charge on their bill.  Whatever the size of project, Wintek can help you.

microFIT Program

The microFIT Program supports the development of small or “micro” renewable electricity generation projects (10 kilowatts (kW) or less in size) such as solar panel installations.  Participants are paid a guaranteed price over a 20-year term (40 years for waterpower projects) for the electricity they produce and deliver to the province’s electricity grid.

Guaranteed prices are designed to:

  • Cover the costs of a typical project
  • Earn a reasonable rate of return on the investment over the term of the contract.

The microFIT Program is a streamlined program for small renewable energy projects under the umbrella of the Feed-in Tariff (FIT) Program, which was designed for projects generating over 10 kW of electricity. The program is part of the largest climate change initiative in North America.  More information can be found on the IESO Website (

Feed In Tariff (FIT) Program

The Feed-In Tariff (FIT) Program was developed in Ontario to encourage and promote greater use of renewable energy sources solar photovoltaic (PV) for electricity generating projects in Ontario.  Per the December 16, 2016 directive from the Minister of Energy, the final FIT Application Period was held in 2016 and the IESO ceased accepting applications under the FIT Program.

What is Involved in Connecting to the Grid?

  • Single Line Diagrams
  • Hydro One Form A, B, or C Signed and Sealed by a Professional Engineer
  • Short Circuit Calculations and Protective Coordination
  • Coordination with Hydro One or the Local Distribution Company
  • Addition of a Second Meter or a Bidirectional Meter
  • Plan Approval and Coordination with the Electrical Safety Authority (ESA)
  • Application through the Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) formerly run by the Ontario Power Authority (OPA)
  • Hydro One Confirmation of Verification Evidence Report (COVER Form) Signed By a Qualified Professional Engineer

How Can WINTEK Get You There?

WINTEK can assemble a cost-effective strategy and achievable plan for bringing your facility onto the grid. Through our knowledgeable and experienced staff we can aid you in the design and coordination of your next alternative energy project. By our involvement in many similar alternative energy projects we can help you achieve your goals and can provide you with a properly engineered single line diagram of the renewable energy system, coordination with the Local Distribution Company and the Electrical Safety Association. Also, we can assist you in the completion of the proper IESO forms to help you get the contract with little or no troubles.

Choose The Right Firm

This work is electrical engineering in its truest sense. Allowing an unqualified person to perform the project coordination is failing to apply due diligence and can end up costing more in the long run as a Professional Engineer is required to approve of the system before allowing connection to the grid. Ask the firm to provide sample projects, references, and their methodology for the work. This will go a long way to ensuring your money will be well spent and the job performed correctly.

If you are a solar panels system manufacturer or distributor, systems integrator, owner, property manager, end user or are simply interested in installing a solar PV system on your property, farm, house, commercial or industrial building, Call WINTEK First!